It's rubbish!: Collection fee to go up 4x
Bangkokians may see their rubbish collection charge quadrupled from October under a bill pitched by City Hall.
The meeting was also attended by Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang and other executives of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.
In a dwelling where no more than 1 kilogramme of rubbish is collected every day, residents must pay 40 baht a month for collection and another 40 baht for disposal. Currently, residents only pay 20 baht for rubbish collection a month.
The subcommittee urged City Hall to receive the fees via e-payment and carry out a PR campaign about the new fees, due to take effect on Oct 1.
Learn from listening
- amendment: a change made to a law or agreement, in this case, to the constitution - การแก้ไขกฎหมาย ในที่นี้หมายถึงการแก้ไขรัฐธรรมนูญ
- collection (noun): gathering; the bringing together that have been spread around - การเก็บรวบรวม
- disposal (noun): getting rid of something, by selling it or throwing it away - การกำจัด
- dwelling (noun): a house, flat/apartment, etc. where a person lives บ้าน, ที่อยู่, ที่พักอาศัย - บ้าน, ที่อยู่, ที่พักอาศัย
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- propose: to suggest an idea for a group to consider - เสนอ
- quadruple: increase in size so that it is 4X larger -
- rubbish: waste material or things that are no longer wanted or needed - ขยะ
- subcommittee: a smaller committee formed from a main committee in order to study a particular subject in more detail - คณะอนุกรรมการ