Fire destroys super yacht in Phuket
PHUKET: A fire destroyed a 240 million baht super yacht moored at a pier on Wednesday.
The fire began on Wednesday morning. A crewman on board the yacht tried in vain to put out the flames using an extinguisher. The fire engulfed the yacht which had to be cut loose and set adrift to prevent the blaze spreading to nearby vessels at the pier.
Five fire engines were sent to tackle the blaze.
Police said the yacht recently arrived from Langkawi in Malaysia.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
Police said the British-registered yacht was captained by Canadian Ted Blenkers and had a full fuel tank when the fire occurred. The owner is not currently in Thailand, according to the police.
Learn from listening
- adrift (adv): (of a boat or someone in a boat) not tied to anything or is floating without being controlled by anyone - ล่องลอย (ไม่ได้วางสมอเรือ)
- captain: a ship captain; the person who is in charge of a ship and runs the ship while at sea -
- in vain: without success - ไม่สำเร็จ
- pier: a platform sticking out into water which people walk along or use when getting onto or off boats - ท่าเรือชนิดยื่นออกไปในน้ำ, สะพานที่ยื่นออกไปในน้ำ
- vessel: a boat or ship - เรือ
- yacht: a large expensive boat that is often used for racing or sailing - เรือยอชท์, เรือท่องเที่ยว,เรือเที่ยวเล่น,เรือแข่ง