Burglar dies after jumping from Phuket apartment
PHUKET: A man fell to his death from an apartment building onto the awning of a shop below in Thalang district after breaking into an apartment early on Tuesday morning.
The man, aged around 30-40, was found lying in a pool of blood on the roof of the shop on Thep Krasattri Road, police said, who were alerted at around 5.30am.
The unidentified man suffered a deep cut to his head. He was wearing only black trousers, and a mobile phone was found in his pocket.
Ms Wararat Dermyiring, owner of the shop, told police that she heard noises suggesting someone was walking on the shop's roof at around 5am while she and her mother were asleep. Later, she heard a loud noise like that of a hard object falling onto the roof. When she left the shop to investigate, she found the man lying dead on the awning.
An owner of an apartment in the building told police that he was alerted by a female tenant that someone had climbed up from the roof of a nearby shop and broken into her room. When the man saw officers arrive he jumped from the third floor apartment to the roof of the shop, he said
Learn from listening
- awning (n): a sheet of canvas or other material stretched on a frame and used to keep the sun or rain off a storefront -
- blood (noun): the red liquid that flows through the bodies of humans and animals - เลือด
- burglar: someone who enters a building illegally in order to steal things (the crime is known as burglary) - ผู้ร้ายย่องเบา, คนลักขโมยของ,
- investigate: to try to find out the facts about something in order to learn the truth about it - ตรวจสอบหาความจริง
- suffer: to experience something very unpleasant or painful - ประสบ
- tenant: a person who pays rent for the use of a room, building, land, etc. to the person who owns it - ผู้เช่า
- unidentified: not known (who someone is) - ซึ่งไม่สามารถระบุชื่อได้