Khao San Road to reopen with special fair
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is to hold a fair on Khao San Road from Oct 30-31.
Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang told media that the event, called "Sawasdee Khao San" also aims to promote "Modern Thainess".
He said the street's revamp was completed in a short time thanks to the Covid-19 outbreak that has stopped tourism activities.
City Hall has splashed out 48.4 million baht on improving Khao San Road. Work started earlier this year and was completed last month.
The road and footpaths are now level, better drainage has been installed along both sides of the road and there is a parking space for the emergency services.
Activities at the fair are designed for all age groups and include a drawing competition, Thai arts performances, a concert, a Khao San exhibition, and food that includes famous Bangkok dishes. The festivities will take place from 9am to 12pm.
On Oct 31, the fair will adopt a Halloween theme with a Halloween costume competition.
Learn from listening
- City Hall: a city government, in this case, the Bangkok city government - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- drainage: the process of taking away of water or other liquids from an area - การระบายน้ำ
- fair: a public event to show people about something or to entertain people - งาน
- level: the height of something in relation to the ground - ระดับ
- revamp: to make a major change or revision to something - ปรับปรุงใหม่
- splash out (verb): to spend a lot of money on something - จ่ายเงินเป็นจำนวนมาก