Fourth woman who sneaked back from Myanmar infected
Another Thai woman who crossed the border illegally from Myanmar to Mae Sai district in Chiang Rai province has been found to be infected with the coronavirus disease.
She is the fourth woman recently diagnosed with Covid-19 after sneaking back into Thailand after working in Myanmar.
Sophon Iamsirithavorn, director of the Division of Communicable Diseases, said the woman's Covid-19 infection was confirmed on Tuesday morning.
Another case, a 29-year-old woman in Chiang Mai province, was announced on Saturday and two others, women aged 26 and 23 from Chiang Rai, were announced on Nov 30.
“The Covid-19 test results of a 25-year-old woman, the latest case, were confirmed this morning (Tuesday).
"Her hometown is Phayao province. She had travelled to work in Myanmar’s Tachilek township with two friends," Dr Sophon said.
"On Nov 24, she and the two friends crossed the border via a natural border pass to Mae Sai district. They wore face masks."
Between Nov 24 and 27, she stayed at a hotel in Mae Sai and did not leave the room. She ordered meals using Grab services, he said. On Nov 28-30, she moved to stay at a hotel in Muang district of Chiang Rai and contacted officials for health tests.
On Nov 30, she was quarantined and underwent a Covid-19 test, which returned positive. She was sent to hospital for treatment.
Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Tuesday said he had ordered the fullest legal action against the Thai women who returned illegally from Tachilek with Covid-19 and dodged quarantine.
"These selfish people caused trouble to so many other Thai people.... They caused national damage and do not deserve sympathy," he said at Government House.
Learn from listening
- communicable disease: a disease that can spread from one person or animal to another - โรคที่สามารถติดต่อได้
- confirm (verb): to state or show that something is definitely true or correct, especially by providing evidence - ยืนยัน
- diagnosed (verb): having found out what physical or mental problem someone has by examining them - วินิจฉัยโรค, พบสาเหตุ
- pass: a road or way over or through mountains - ทางผ่าน
- selfish: caring only about yourself rather than about other people - เห็นแก่ตัว
- sneak (verb): (past: snuck) to go somewhere secretly, trying to avoid being seen - เดินหลบ,เดินลับ ๆ ล่อ ๆ
- sympathy: a natural feeling of kindness and understanding that you have for someone who is experiencing something very unpleasant - ความเห็นอกเห็นใจ
- township (noun): a division of a county that is a unit of local government - เขตชุมชน, เขตการปกครองท้องถิ่น