Police involved in migrant smuggling
published : 15 Jan 2021 at 09:37
writer: Gary Boyle
The Royal Thai Police is to investigate 33 police officers and state officials suspected of illegal labour smuggling.
Police said on Thursday that a probe had found 33 officials to be involved in smuggling migrant workers across the Thai-Myanmar border in Kanchanaburi's Sangkhla Buri district.
Among them are more than 20 police, and officials from other state agencies.
Some had been negligent over the smuggling of migrants while others were involved in the crime themselves, the police chief said.
He also said police would next week issue arrest warrants for eight other Thais who are part of a smuggling gang which sneaked migrants into Thailand and sent them to work in Samut Sakhon, the epicentre of the recent Covid-19 outbreak.
The chief added police would step up border security patrols to prepare for the registration of illegal foreign workers in Thailand.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday set up two new committees, one to curb illegal gambling and the other to deal with the smuggling of migrants, both seen as key factors in the recent surge of infections.
Learn from listening
- arrest warrant: a document signed by a judge allowing police to arrest someone - หมายจับ
- epicentre (noun): the point on the earth's surface where the effects of an earthquake are felt most strongly; the central point of something - ศูนย์กลาง
- gambling: the activity of betting money, for example in a game or on a horse race - การพนัน
- migrant worker: someone who travels to another place or country in order to find work - คนงานต่างถิ่น
- negligent: not being careful or giving enough attention to people or things that are your responsibility - ละเลย,ไม่สนใจ
- official: connected with the job of somebody who is in a position of authority - ที่เป็นทางการ
- probe: an attempt to find out the truth about an issue, problem or accident, made by an official group (or by the media); an investigation - การตรวจสอบ การสอบสวน
- registration: the process of recording names or information on an official list - การขึ้นทะเบียน, การลงทะเบียน
- smuggle: to take drugs, money, people, etc. to or from a place secretly and often illegally - ลักลอบนำเข้า
- sneak (verb): (past: snuck) to go somewhere secretly, trying to avoid being seen - เดินหลบ,เดินลับ ๆ ล่อ ๆ
- surge: a sudden increase in something - การเพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว