Thai man brutally killed
published : 3 Feb 2021 at 09:23
writer: Gary Boyle
The Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles has warned Thai people in California to be on their guard following the horrifying killing of an 84-year-old man in San Francisco.
The Thai man, named by a local TV station as Vicha Ratanapakdee, 84, was among three elderly Asian people to be attacked.
The attack took place at 8.30am last Thursday in front of his home.
Security footage, shared on the internet, shows a man running towards Vicha and throwing him violently to the ground before turning around and running away.
Vicha died in hospital in the early hours of Saturday and soon after, police reportedly charged a 19-year-old man, Antoine Watson, with murder and 20-year-old female friend, Maylasia Goo, with being an accessory to the killing.
The attack has caused alarm among members of the Asian-American community in the Bay Area.
"There's nothing non-intentional about it," said Vicha's son-in-law. He and his wife believed the attacker targeted him because he was an elderly Asian.
- accessory: a person who helps another person break the law and carry out a crime -
- alarm: fear and anxiety that somebody feels when something dangerous or unpleasant might happen or has happened - ความกังวล
- attack (verb): to use violence to try to hurt or kill somebody - โจมตี
- attack (noun): an action that you take to try to stop or change something that you feel is bad; an act of trying to hurt or kill somebody - การโจมตี
- brutally: in an extremely violent or cruel way - อย่างโหดร้าย
- Consulate-General (noun): consulate general the residence, office, or jurisdiction of a consul general (a high-ranking consul, stationed at a place of commercial importance) สถานกงสุล -
- intentional: deliberate; done purposely -
- on guard: ready to deal with something bad that might happen -
- target: to deliberately try to attack someone or something - ตั้งเป็นเป้าหมาย
- violently: with great energy or strong movement, very strongly or severely - อย่างรุนแรง