Singer arrested on lese majeste charge
Police arrested singer Chai-amorn Kaewwiboonpan, aka Ammy The Bottom Blues, in Ayutthaya province early on Wednesday for allegedly setting fire to a portrait of the King.
Police said Mr Chai-amorn was taken into custody at a rented room about 12.40am. The singer requested he be transferred to a hospital.
Police on Tuesday denied reports that the singer had been arrested.
The deputy police commissioner said legal action would also be taken against other people, after a video of the incident was shared.
Police said they had witnesses and forensic evidence to charge Mr Chai-amorn with participating in the portrait burning. The singer was the only suspect in the case arrested so far. He had not admitted to the crime.
Mr Chai-amorn and two others are facing charges of arson, royal insult and computer crime.
The charges carry severe penalties -- 5-20 years, life in prison or death for arson; 3-15 years for royal insult; and five years each for trespassing on a state office and for computer crime.
Learn from listening
- arson: the illegal use of fire to destroy a house, building, or property; an arsonist is a person who commits arson - การลอบวางเพลิง
- custody: the state of being in prison or under police control, especially while waiting for trial - การกักขัง, การคุมขัง
- denied (verb): said that something is not true or did not happen - ปฏิเสธ
- evidence: facts statements or objects that help to prove whether or not someone has committed a crime - หลักฐาน
- forensic: relating to the use of scientific methods to solve crimes or to find out why something happened - เกี่ยวกับนิติวิทยาศาสตร์
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- insult: to say or do something to someone that is rude or offensive - พูดแดกดัน, พูดจาบจ้วง
- lese majeste: the crime of offending, threatening or showing disrespect for a member of the royal family - หมิ่นพระบรมเดชานุภาพ
- portrait: a painting, photograph, drawing, etc. of a person - ภาพวาดหรือภาพถ่ายคน
- severe: very serious and unpleasant - รุนแรง