UK Covid variant not linked to more serious infections
The UK variant of the novel coronavirus does not increase the severity of Covid-19 compared to other strains, according to research published Tuesday.
Findings by British medical journal The Lancet did however confirm the variant’s increased transmissibility.
The first local cases of Covid-19 with the UK variant of the virus have been reported in the Thong Lor cluster in Bangkok.
But two studies published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases and The Lancet Public Health journals found no evidence that people with B117 experience worse symptoms or a greater risk of developing long Covid than those infected with different variants.
Commenting on the first study, experts from Singapore’s National Centre for Infectious Diseases said the findings were in contrast to three previous studies suggesting that B117 was deadlier than other variants.
Yet they pointed out the Lancet study had the benefit of having used whole-genome sequencing as well as a good variety of patient and disease outcomes.
A second study analysed self-reported data from nearly 37,000 British users of a Covid-19 symptom app who tested positive between September and December last year.
- dominant: more noticeable than the other parts or aspects of something - เด่น
- finding (noun): results, what people "find" or discover by doing some research or activity - ผลของการสืบค้น, ผลของการค้นหา
- genome (noun): the total amount of genetic or DNA information in the chromosomes of a living thing - กลุ่มยีนในเซลล์ของสิ่งมีชีวิต, จีโนม
- likelihood: the chance that something will happen - ความเป็นไปได้
- pointed out: mentioned something in order to give somebody information about it or make them notice it - ชี้ให้เห็น, บ่งชี, ชี้, ระบุ
- reassuring (adj): making you feel less worried or uncertain about something - ซึ่งทำให้กังวลน้อยลง
- sequence (verb): to identify the order in which a set of genes or parts of molecules are arranged - จัดลำดับ, จัดอนุกรม
- severity: seriousness - ความรุนแรง
- strain: a particular type of virus, animal, insect, or plant - สายพันธุ์
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน