Partial lockdown possible
The government is discussing the possibility of imposing a partial lockdown in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chon Buri.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will hold a CCSA meeting tomorrow afternoon. The meeting is expected to discuss the strengthening of measures to curb the spread of Covid-19, as well as the partial lockdown proposal, according to a source.
The CCSA said strict controls on certain activities in areas considered at risk of a Covid-19 outbreak should still be sufficient, as the Covid-19 outbreak situation still was "under control".
The government reported 1,335 new Covid-19 cases on Wednesday, the highest increase in daily infections since the outbreak started early last year.
The CCSA is now concerned about the possibility of more Covid-19 clusters emerging in other areas, as there are still carriers linked to previous outbreaks who are still travelling.
More restrictions on certain types of businesses, including restaurants, shopping malls and gyms will be discussed at today's meeting between the CCSA sub-committee and the ministry, said a source.
Several more areas will possibly be declared red zones, while certain activities that normally bring people together, such as group exercises and restaurant dining, will likely be restricted.
More Covid-19 restrictions are expected in one or two days.
Learn from listening
- cluster: group of people, animals or things close together - กลุ่ม
- curb: to control or limit something that is harmful - ระงับ, ควบคุม
- lockdown (noun): an official order to control the movement of people or vehicles because of a dangerous situation -
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- partial: in part, but not complete - บางส่วน
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- source: someone who gives information - แหล่งข่าว
- sufficient: enough - เพียงพอ
- zone: an area that has an important or typical feature; an area where a particular activity is allowed or not allowed - พื้นที่, บริเวณ, เขต