Two police shot during raid on luxury house
published : 20 May 2021 at 13:26
writer: Gary Boyle
Two policemen were shot and wounded at a luxury home on a golf course near Pattaya, and a Chinese man was later arrested and charged.
Eight other people - five Chinese nationals, a gardener and two maids - were also detained, reports said.
The house is at Phoenix golf course in Bang Lamung. The shooting occurred on Wednesday.
There were three luxury cars – a Porsche, a Rolls-Royce and a Mercedes Benz - parked in the house grounds, a compound covering more than one rai of land.
Police entered the premises after the shooting and arrested a Chinese man. Thai media identified the man as Jang Yang, 35.
One policeman sustained three gunshot wounds - to his shoulder, chest and stomach. He was admitted to hospital in a serious condition. Another was shot in the right leg.
A member of the team involved in the raid said they went to the house to search it. They were looking for evidence that a group of Chinese nationals who rented the house might be members of a mafia gang, as they seemed to be unusually rich.
Learn from listening
- arrested: caught by the police and taken to a police station because you are believed to have committed a crime - ถูกจับกุม
- detained: kept in a place and not allowed to leave - กักตัว ควบคุมตัวหรือฝากขัง
- luxury: the best and most expensive of something - ที่หรูหรา
- mafia: a criminal organisation -
- national: a citizen of a particular country - ประชาชน
- raid (noun): a short (surprise) attack on an enemy or group - การจู่โจม,การโจมตี, การบุกเข้า
- sustain: to experience, injury, damage, loss, etc. - ประสบกับ (ความสูญเสีย การเจ็บป่วย)
- unusually: different from what is usual or normal - ผิดปกติ
- wound: an injury in which your skin or flesh is damaged - บาดแผล