Get the vaccine, win a cow
A district in Chiang Mai has launched a campaign for its vaccinated residents to win a live cow per week for the rest of the year.
From next month, one lucky vaccinated villager in the Mae Chaem district of Chiang Mai province will be randomly chosen every week to win a young cow worth around 10,000 baht.
The campaign, set to run for 24 weeks, has been met with enthusiasm in the town of 43,000 since it was announced earlier this week.
"Our vaccine registration numbers have gone from hundreds to thousands in a couple of days," the district chief told Reuters.
"The villagers love cows. Cows can be sold for cash."
More than 4,000 people in priority groups, including those over 60 years old and those with pre-existing conditions, have already registered for their shots, the chief said.
The town will start vaccinations on June 7, in line with the government's national rollout.
Other provinces have also come up with creative incentives to boost registration, such as gold necklace giveaways, store discount coupons, or cash handouts.
At least 1.64 million of Thailand's 66 million population, have already received their first doses and more than 7 million have registered so far.
Learn from listening
- campaign: a planned series of activities - การรณรงค์
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- enthusiasm: the feeling of being very interested in something or excited by it - ความกระตือรือร้น
- incentive: something that makes you want to do something or work harder, because you know that you will benefit by doing this - สิ่งกระตุ้น
- pre-existing condition (noun): a physical or mental condition that had begun at an earlier time - สภาพที่เป็นอยู่ก่อน
- randomly: chosen without any particular pattern — - สุ่ม
- registration: the process of recording names or information on an official list - การขึ้นทะเบียน, การลงทะเบียน
- roll-out (noun): an occasion when a company introduces or starts to use a new product - การนำ(สินค้า ฯลฯ) ออกส่สายตาประชาชนเป็นครั้งแรก
- vaccinate: to give someone a vaccine, usually by injection (putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe), to prevent them from getting a disease - ฉีดวัคซีน
- vaccination (noun): giving someone a vaccine, usually by injection to prevent them from getting a disease - การฉีดวัคซีน