"Samui Plus" scheme starts Thursday
Surat Thani has in place "Samui Plus" measures for foreign travellers wanting to visit the province from Thursday onwards.
The government has given permission to open Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao to foreign visitors as part of the Samui Plus model. Tourists will be able to visit the other two islands and explore Koh Samui after a week's stay within the grounds of a Samui hotel.
The province's governor said visitors must avoid areas where there is a high risk of infection for at least 14 days before arrival in Surat Thani. Travellers should also be from a country approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, he said.
Foreign visitors must also be registered with the Thai government and have legal documentation for entry. They need to have tested negative for Covid-19 within 72 hours before travelling to the province. Health insurance covering more than US$100,000 in medical costs is also needed.
The governor also stated that as the virus may not be detected in the first 7 days during isolation measures, visitors are not allowed to leave their hotels on Samui or consume alcoholic beverages.
Then on days 8-14, visitors are allowed to travel around Koh Samui, to Koh Phangan and Koh Tao, using only designated boats.
Learn from listening
- avoid: to stay away from a place; to try to prevent something from happening - หลีกเลี่ยง
- designated: formally chosen - แต่งตั้ง
- documentation: paperwork; documents used for proving that something is true or correct - งานเอกสาร
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- grounds: the area surrounding a building - บริเวณ,เขต,สถานที่
- insurance: an arrangement in which you regularly pay an insurance company an amount of money so that they will give you money if something you own is damaged, lost, or stolen, or if you die or are ill or injured - การประกัน
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- model: a simple description of a system, used for explaining how something works or calculating what might happen, etc - แบบจำลอง
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- scheme: a plan that is developed by a government or large organisation in order to provide a particular service for people - แผนการ โครงการ