Record 14,575 new Covid cases Friday
There were record 14,575 new Covid-19 cases and 114 new fatalities over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Friday morning.
There were 13,503 cases in the general population and 1,072 among prison inmates.
Over the past 24 hours, 7,775 Covid-19 patients recovered and left hospitals.
Since April 1, around when the third wave of Covid-19 began, there have been 438,844 Covid-19 patients, 292,726 of whom have recovered.
Since the pandemic started early last year, there have been 467,707 Covid-19 cases, 320,152 of whom recovered.
The death toll was at 3,717 in the third wave and 3,811 from the beginning of the pandemic early last year.
Apisamai Srirangson of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said that the 114 deaths were aged 14-94 years and three of them died at home.
Of the latest fatalities, 111 were Thais and the rest were from Myanmar, Cambodia and Pakistan. Fifty-nine either lived in or visited outbreak areas and 23 caught the virus from other family members.
The largest number were in Bangkok, 49.
Of the 14,575 new cases over the previous 24 hours, Greater Bangkok logged 6,085 new cases and 79 new fatalities while four southern border provinces had 771 new cases and five new deaths.
Bangkok alone had 3,104 new cases.
The 13 imported cases were from Russia (1), China (1), the United Arab Emirates (1), Cambodia (2), Myanmar (6 sneaking in) and Laos (2).
- fatality: a death caused by an illness, accident, crime or war - การเสียชีวิต
- Greater Bangkok: the city of Bangkok and the area surrounding it, e.g. Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, etc. -
- inmate: someone who is kept in a prison, mental hospital or other institution - ผู้ถูกกักกัน, ผู้ถูกกักบริเวณในเรือนจำหรือโรงพยาบาล
- pandemic: a disease that affects almost everyone in a very large area - โรคที่มีการแพร่กระจายหรือระบาดไปทั่ว
- population (noun): all the people who live in a particular area, city or country; the total number of people who live there - ประชากร, พลเมือง, จำนวนประชากร
- record: the best or most ever achieved - สถิติ
- recovered: became fit and healthy again - ฟื้นฟูร่างกาย
- sneak (verb): (past: snuck) to go somewhere secretly, trying to avoid being seen - เดินหลบ,เดินลับ ๆ ล่อ ๆ
- wave: an activity or situation which is happening again or is being repeated after a pause -