PM advises cabinet on Covid crisis, estimates duration
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has estimated the currently severe Covid-19 situation will affect the country for the next two to three weeks, four weeks at most.
The country has logged more than 10,000 new cases daily in recent days with daily fatalities frequently topping 100.
The kingdom had a record high of 16,533 new Covid-19 cases and 133 new fatalities over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Wednesday morning.
Mr Sathit said the prime minister has given a directive that in 14 days lockdown and curfew measures are to be reviewed, with any further action based on the severity of the situation at that time.
Any decision to step up restrictions after 14 days rests with the Department of Disease Control and the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, he said.
The deputy public health minister said the cabinet meeting discussion took in measures underway to bring down the Covid-19 curve. Among them was sending those infected back to their home provinces for treatment in order to alleviate overcrowding at hospitals and medical facilities in Bangkok and other hard-hit provinces.
- alleviate: to make something less painful, severe, or serious - ทำให้บรรเทา ทำให้น้อยลง
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- currently: at this time; now - ในปัจจุบัน
- directive: an official order - คำสั่ง
- duration: the period of time during which something continues to happen or exist - ช่วงระยะเวลา, ความทนทาน
- estimated: thought to be a particular amount, size, etc. based on a guess or the best information available - ประมาณการ
- reality: what is actually happening - ความเป็นจริง
- relevant: directly connected and important to what is being discussed or considered - ที่เกี่ยวข้อง
- rest with: to be the responsibility of; to depend on - เป็นความรับผิดชอบของ, เป็นหน้าที่ของ
- severe: very serious and worrying - ที่รุนแรง ที่น่าเป็นห่วง
- step up: to increase; to cause to happen at a faster rate - เร่ง
- underway: happening - กำลังเกิดขึ้น