The government has extended lockdown measures for two more weeks from Tuesday, with another 16 provinces added to the dark red zone of maximum restrictions.
Apisamai Srirangson of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Sunday a curfew from 9pm-4am and other measures will be imposed in Bangkok and 28 other provinces for two weeks from Tuesday.
The dark red zone will then cover 40% of the population and account for three-quarters of Thailand's gross domestic product.
The CCSA will evaluate the situation again on Aug 18 and Dr Apisamai said that a further extension to the end of August was possible.
Restaurants in the dark red zones are allowed to prepare take-home orders, but dining in is still banned.
Other restrictions include the closure of all stores in shopping malls at 8pm except for essential retailers, such as supermarkets, chemists and those selling medical and communications equipment. No public transport is available from 9pm-4am.
The curfew and lockdown measures have been enforced in Greater Bangkok – Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom - and four southern provinces since July 12. Chon Buri, Chachoengsao and Ayutthaya were included on July 20.
The CCSA added 16 more provinces to the dark red zone under lockdown restrictions:
- Ang Thong
- Nakhon Nayok
- Nakhon Ratchasima
- Lop Buri
- Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Prachin Buri
- Samut Songkhram
- Sing Buri
- Suphan Buri
Learn from listening
- banned: officially not allowed to do something - ถูกห้าม
- curfew: a law that does not allow people to go outside between a particular time in the evening and a particular time in the morning - กฎอัยการศึก คือห้ามออกนอกบ้านในยามวิกาล
- enforced (adj): that somebody is forced to do or experience without being able to control it - โดยถูกบังคับ
- extension: making a period of time longer - การขยายออกไป
- gross domestic product: the total value of all goods and services produced in a country in a year, except for income received from money invested in other countries. It is often simply called GDP - ผลิตภัณฑ์มวลรวมภายในประเทศ
- impose: to force someone to accept something - กำหนด,บังคับ
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม