Bangkok prepares for flooding
Authorities in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Pathum Thani have been told to brace for possible flooding ahead of water discharge from the Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat before more heavy rain.
A monsoon trough is making its way down the country towards the Central Plains and upper South.
Provinces downstream of Chai Nat have been advised to prepare for a possible surge of water from the dam, which may cause floods in low-lying areas.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha posted on his Facebook page that while heavy rains brought on by tropical depression Dianmu have begun to recede, the risk of flash floods and/or landslides remained high.
He said the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has been instructed to come up with a plan to deal with the nation's flooding issues.
The department was also instructed to send officials and equipment -- such as water pumps and rescue boats -- to help those affected by floods.
Intense showers will continue across the country until Thursday.
Chaiyaphum this week saw its worst flooding in 50 years.
Learn from listening
- dam: a wall built across a river to stop the water from flowing, especially in order to create a lake or to help to produce electric power - เขื่อน
- Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation: a department within the Ministry of the Interior in charge of making preparations for disasters, warning citizens of dangers and organising relief efforts when a disaster occurs - กรมป้องกันและบรรเทาสาธารณภัย
- depression: an area where the air pressure is low, often causing heavy rain - พายุดีเปรสชัน
- discharge (noun): letting a liquid flow out - การปล่อยออก, การขับออก
- downstream: in the direction that a river or stream is flowing - ตามกระแสน้ำ
- flash floods (noun): floods that happen suddenly without warning - น้ำที่เกิดท่วมในที่ต่ำโดยฉับพลันทันทีและไหลลดลงอย่างรวดเร็ว
- intense: very strong - แรง, เข้มข้น
- landslide: a mass of rock and earth moving suddenly and quickly down a steep slope - แผ่นดินถล่ม
- monsoon: the season of heavy rain during the summer in hot Asian countries - มรสุม
- recede: to move back; to move further away into the distance - ถอยหลัง
- surge: a sudden increase in something - การเพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว
- tropical: relating to the hottest area of the Earth, between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn - ในเขตร้อน
- trough: a long narrow region of low air pressure between two regions of higher pressure -