Quarantine being lifted, more provinces being opened
There will be no quarantine for fully vaccinated air travellers from five countries from Nov 1, and destinations in more provinces will also be opened to foreign tourists.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said the CCSA decided on Thursday to allow in fully vaccinated visitors from Britain, the United States, Germany, Singapore and China if they pass an RT-PCR test before arrival.
Travellers from these five countries were considered as having low-risk of Covid-19 infection. They would not have to quarantine.
The number of destinations opened to tourists would also expand from four provinces - Phuket and parts of Surat Thani, Phangnga and Krabi provinces - to 17 provinces of economic significance. This would include all of Bangkok, Samut Prakan (only Suvarnabhumi airport), parts of Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin and Nong Kae) and all of Krabi and Phangnga, Dr Taweesilp said.
From Dec 1, another 16 major provinces would reopen, including Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Lamphun, Phrae and Sukhothai.
The CCSA had yet to finalise the entire list of the additional provinces, Dr Taweesilp said.
The CCSA's briefing on Thursday afternoon started with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha confirming that Thailand was ready for reopening in two weeks.
"Many countries want to let their citizens visit Thailand... It will be a small start, for people to resume earning a living," the prime minister said.
- briefing: a meeting in which people receive information or instruction - คำแถลงการณ์สั้น,สรุปแบบสั้นๆ
- citizen: someone who has the right to live permanently in a particular country - พลเมือง
- earn a living: to earn enough money to support yourself/your family - หาเลี้ยงชีพ
- expand: to make or become larger - ขยาย
- finalise: to complete the last part of a plan, trip, project, etc - ทำให้เสร็จสมบูรณ์
- PCR: polymerase chain reaction; a biotech technology used to amplify a single copy of DNA generating thousands to millions of copies of a particular DNA sequence that can then be used to do things such as test for a disease or for genetic fingerprinting in criminal forensics (Source: Wikipedia) -
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- significance: importance; the importance that something has because it affects other things - ความสำคัญ