116 Bangkok pub-goers charged for drinking alcohol
Police have charged 116 pub-goers and a manager after a raid on a Bangkok pub on Saturday night.
Police raided XOXO Bar and Restaurant in Korea Town on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 12 at 10.45pm and held 116 guests -- including 27 foreigners -- along with the manager.
Police found 50 drinking containers filled with beer and 60 glasses of beer at seats inside the pub. They also seized receipts for alcoholic drinks at the counter.
The pub-goers were charged for defying a ban on gatherings that could spread the coronavirus. The manager of the pub was charged for selling alcohol.
Restaurants in Bangkok and other high-risk provinces are banned from selling alcoholic beverages.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Monday the government planned to end the ban by Dec 1 to promote tourism and the new year celebrations.
Learn from listening
- ban: an official statement ordering people not to do, sell or use something - การห้าม
- charge: to accuse someone officially of committing a crime - ตั้งข้อกล่าวหา
- container: something used for storing or holding things, for example a box, bottle, or bowl - ภาชนะใส่ของ, หีบบรรจุ
- defy: to refuse to obey or accept someone or something - ท้า, เป็นปฏิปักษ์ต่อ
- raid: to use force to enter a place suddenly in order to arrest people or search for something such as illegal weapons or drugs - บุกเข้าจับ, เข้าตรวจค้น
- receipt: a piece of paper which proves that money, goods or information have been received - ใบเสร็จ, ใบรับ
- seize: to take something using official power and force - จับกุม