Sitala to stay in K-pop group
Sitala Wongkrachang will remain a part of the K-pop girl group H1-Key despite calls on Thai social media to ban her, the band's managers said.
Commenting on the fuss, the South Korean record label Grandline Group (GLG) said it had decided to "not change the members of the group".
The company, it said, cannot hold Sitala accountable "on the basis of her father's past decisions and actions that were beyond her responsibility".
Her father is late actor and director-turned-activist Saranyu Wongkrachang.
The hashtag campaigns #banSITALA and #BanLuknang were among the top trending items on Thai social media after GLG promoted the girl group on Nov 29.
GLG added that Sitala's decision to describe her father as a role model was unrelated to Wongkrachang's political point of view, but a sign of respect for him as a parent, actor and director.
The company said she was pained and full of remorse due to growing concerns in her homeland, which had given the agency a greater understanding of Thai society.
GLG apologised for those who felt hurt by any of the singer's comments or actions and sought their understanding.
Thai netizens discovered Sitala and her family had joined the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) rallies in 2013–2014, which led to the 2014 coup.
Anger against her spread beyond Thailand to include other groups and individuals from around the world.
Learn from listening
- accountable: responsible for something that has happened - ซึ่งรับผิดชอบ, สามารถอธิบายได้
- activist: someone who takes part in activities that are intended to achieve political or social change, especially someone who is a member of an organisation - นักกิจกรรม
- apologise: to say you are sorry for doing something wrong or for causing a problem - ขอโทษ
- ban: to say officially that people must not do, sell or use something - การประกาศห้าม
- coup: the seizure of power in a country by a group of people, usually members of the armed forces - รัฐประหาร
- fuss: unnecessary excitement, worry or activity - ความอึกทึก, ความเอะอะ
- individuals: persons - บุคคล
- remorse: the feeling of being extremely sorry for something wrong or bad that you have done - การสำนึกผิด, ความเสียใจ
- respect: a feeling of admiration that you have for someone/something because of their personal qualities, their achievements, or their status, and that you show by treating them in a polite and kind way - ความเคารพ, ความนับถือ
- responsibility: a moral duty to behave in a particular way - ความรับผิดชอบ
- role model (noun): someone/something whose behaviour/activity is considered to be a good example for other people to copy - ผู้ซึ่งมีลักษณะควรค่าแก่การเป็นแบบอย่างให้กับผู้อื่น