Officials order removal of cult temple's 'pla ra bong'
Health officials have ordered all vendors to remove pla ra bong (fermented fish chilli paste) produced at a cult temple from their shelves, following a recent raid on the premises.
Chaiyaphum Provincial Public Health Office said on Thursday that the temple had produced pla ra bong under the brand Saeb Lai (very delicious), rice crackers and dried fish, for sale at nearby villages.
Local health officials had surveyed stalls in Khon San and found 10 of them selling Saeb Lai pla ra bong.
The officials sought cooperation from vendors to remove the products from sale, and local police had also seized them.
Officials warned that consuming body waste, whether it was one’s own or someone else’s, can cause blood infection that may lead to death.
On Wednesday, police, soldiers, health and local officials raided the cult temple.
The raid followed complaints that the cult leader had provided weird treatments to his followers to cure their illnesses.
Eleven corpses, said to be cult followers, were found on the premises during the search.
Learn from listening
- consume: to eat, drink or use something - บริโภค
- corpse: a dead body - ศพ
- cult: a religious group with controversial practices and beliefs that from the normal ones and which people believe are dangerous -
- delicious: having a very good taste - อร่อย
- seize (verb): to take something using force - ยึด, จับกุม
- urine: liquid waste passed from your body - น้ำปัสสาวะ
- vendors: people who sell things, e.g., food or newspapers, usually outside on the street - พ่อค้าแม่่ค้าหาบแร่แผงลอย
- waste (noun): the useless part that is thrown away after something is used - ขยะ, ของเสีย, ที่ไม่มีประโยชน์, การสูญเสียไปโดยเปล่าประโยชน์, การหมดเปลือง
- weird: very strange - แปลกประหลาด