Lizard blamed for city flood
published : 20 May 2022 at 14:02
writer: Gary Boyle
A large water pump crippled by a stray monitor lizard that got stuck inside it has been blamed for widespread flooding in Bang Khen.
Heavy floods occurred around the Bang Khen roundabout and adjacent areas from Tuesday morning until Wednesday.
Traffic was at a standstill in many areas in northern Bangkok inundated by flooding during the morning rush hour on Tuesday when the new school term opened.
Chaotic scenes were reported on flooded sections of Ratchadaphisek and Phahon Yothin roads as well as zones near Bang Sue and Chatuchak districts.
At the water station covering those areas, four large water pumps either shut down every 15 minutes or stopped working altogether.
A repair team found a monitor lizard was stuck inside one of the pumps, halting its operations. The team fixed the problem and restored the pump.
- adjacent: very near, next to, or touching - ติดกัน
- chaotic: happening in a confused way and without any order or organisation - ยุ่งเหยิง วุ่นวาย
- crippled: damaged and prevented from working properly - ที่พัง ที่ใช้การไม่ได้
- flood (noun): a large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry - น้ำท่วม
- inundated: flooded - ถูกน้ำท่วม, จมลงใต้น้ำ
- monitor lizard: large reptiles with have long necks, powerful tails and claws, and well-developed limbs - เหี้ย
- pump: a piece of equipment for making a liquid or gas move into or out of something - เครื่องสูบ(น้ำ etc.)
- restore: to bring back to good condition - ฟื้นฟูสภาพ
- standstill: a complete stop - การหยุดนิ่ง, การหยุดชะงัก