Face mask mandate lifted
The government has lifted its face mask mandate and advised vulnerable and infected people to still use masks for the sake of personal and public health.
The decision was made due to the improving Covid-19 situation and intended to let people resume normal lifestyles, according to the government announcement published in the Royal Gazette on Friday.
The use of face masks is now voluntary, but is recommended to prevent infection by respiratory diseases including Covid-19, the announcement said.
The Public Health Ministry advised people to continue to wear masks in crowded or poorly ventilated places.
Vulnerable people, mainly the elderly and those with underlying illnesses, should wear face masks while staying with others to reduce the risk of infection.
Covid-infected people or those in close contact with Covid-19 cases should wear face masks to reduce transmission risk, the announcement said.
Learn from listening
- announcement: a spoken or written statement that informs people about something - การประกาศ
- lift: to end a warning, a restriction, etc. - ยกเลิก
- mandate: an official order to do something - คำสั่ง
- respiratory: involving breathing - เกี่ยวกับการหายใจ
- resume: to begin again after stopping for a period of time - เริ่มอีกครั้ง, กลับมาอีกครั้ง
- royal gazette: a royal publication begun in 1858 by King Mongkut (Rama IV) as the official way of announcing news laws, decrees, ministerial proclamations, etc. - ราชกิจจานุเบกษา
- situation: all the circumstances and things that are happening at a particular time and in a particular place - สถานการณ์
- transmission: the spread of a disease from one person or animal to another - การแพร่เชื้อ
- underlying (adj): important in a situation but not always easily noticed or stated clearly; existing under the surface of something else - ที่สำคัญและซ่อนอยู่, ที่อยู่ในตำแหน่งต่ำกว่า
- ventilate: to allow fresh air to enter and move around a room, building, etc. -
- voluntary: done because you choose to do it rather than because you have to - ด้วยความสมัครใจ
- vulnerable: easily damaged or harmed - ซึ่งถูกทำลายได้ง่าย