PM calls for unity among Thais
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has compared the country to a vehicle with 70 million passengers that needs unity to move forward.
Speaking at the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) Expo 2022, the premier said the public and private sectors must work together in the face of changes and challenges.
"Thailand is no exception. It has to face the winds of change, and the wind can turn into a storm. It is time for the private and public sectors to come to an understanding that we must collaborate or else it won't work," he said.
Prayut said the government is talking with foreign governments in an attempt to drive industrial development and enhance the country's industrial strength.
"Thailand is like a massive car that moves 70 million people forward to the global stage. The government's job is to keep the engines running smoothly to ensure convenience for the passengers.
"We're in the same vehicle. We need to push it along even when it's in bad shape. But who will lead it is another story.
"What we're doing today has to keep going. It's not right to keep complaining about what should or shouldn't be," the prime minister said.
Thailand, he said, is a key destination for foreigners in terms of investment, work and living, and their presence should be seen as a boon to the country.
Learn from listening
- boon (noun): something good and useful that you get; a benefit - สิ่งที่เป็นประโยชน์, สิ่งที่ช่วยอำนวยความสะดวก
- collaborate: to work together with someone else - ร่วมมือ
- convenience: something that is useful and can make things easier or quicker to do, or more comfortable - เครื่องอำนวยความสะดวก, ความสะดวก
- drive: a planned effort to achieve something - การผลักดัน,ความพยายาม
- exception: someone or something that is different in some way from other people or things and so cannot be included in a general statement - เป็นที่แตกต่าง ที่พิเศษออกไปจากกลุ่ม
- presence: the fact of being in a particular place, thing or situation - การเข้าร่วม, การมีอยู่
- sector: a part of a country’s economic or business activity - ภาค (เศรษฐกิจ)
- unity: a situation in which people, groups, or countries join together or agree about something - ความเป็นเอกภาพ, ความเป็นอันหนึ่งอันเดียวกัน
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ
- winds of change: forces that cause change, especially social change -