CCSA mulls ways to lure tourists
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) is considering more measures to promote tourism due to a drop in the number of Covid-19 cases.
Daily cases have started to fall below 1,000 this month and 10-15 deaths reported on average each day, a government spokeswoman said on Tuesday. The country fully reopened to tourists in July.
"The government is working on a plan to come up with measures to promote tourism to accommodate more tourists during the [upcoming] peak season," she said.
Meanwhile, the government has urged everyone, especially people aged 60 years and above, those with underlying diseases and pregnant women, to complete a two-dose course of vaccines as well as a booster.
The Department of Disease Control said a Long Acting Antibody (LAAB) combination, which protects against severe Covid-19, showed it could even treat a 105-year-old patient who was not previously vaccinated but got infected with the virus.
Moreover, studies in the United States, Europe and Japan showed the LAAB shots can reduce the fatality rate by 50% and significantly ease symptoms if administered within 3-5 days of people contracting the infection, especially those in vulnerable groups.
Japan registered the LAAB on Aug 30 and the European Union is expected to approve it soon. It is currently being reviewed by the US and Thailand.
Learn from listening
- accommodate: to prepare what is needed for something - ปรับตัว
- fatality: a death caused by an illness, accident, crime or war - การเสียชีวิต
- lure: to attract someone/something - ล่อใจ, หลอกล่อ, ยั่วยวน
- measures (noun): actions taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- mull: to think carefully about something over a period of time - ครุ่นคิด
- peak (adj): the time when something is at its highest or greatest level - ช่วงเวลาที่หนาแน่น, ช่วงเวลาที่พบมากที่สุด
- pregnant: having a baby developing inside the body - ท้อง ตั้งครรภ์
- severe: very serious and unpleasant - รุนแรง
- symptoms (noun): signs that someone has an illness - อาการ
- underlying (adj): important in a situation but not always easily noticed or stated clearly; existing under the surface of something else - ที่สำคัญและซ่อนอยู่, ที่อยู่ในตำแหน่งต่ำกว่า
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น