Flooding in 25 provinces
More than 3 million rai of farmland and residential areas in 25 provinces along 11 major river basins are flooded, with Nakhon Sawan the worst hit, satellite data shows.
The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (Gistda) said on Wednesday that images from a satellite on Oct 4 showed flooded areas in parts of the Yom, Nan, Sakae Krang, Tha chin, Chao Phraya, Pasak, Bang Pakong, Prachin, Mekong, Chi and Mun river basins.
This showed 3,289,154 rai of farmland and residential areas in 25 provinces in the lower North, the Central Plains, the Northeast and the East along the 11 river basins were inundated.
Nakhon Sawan had the most flooded area, followed by Ayutthaya, Phichit and Suphan Buri.
Of the affected areas, paddy fields accounted for 526,577 rai. The remaining areas were low-lying agricultural land along major rivers, residential areas and sections of transport routes.
- affected (verb): having received an effect or influence - ถูกผลกระทบ, มีผลต่อ
- agricultural (adj): of the science or practice of farming - ที่เกี่ยวกับเกษตรกรรม
- basin: a large area of land whose surface water all flows into a particular river or lake - ลุ่มน้ำ
- inundated: flooded - ถูกน้ำท่วม, จมลงใต้น้ำ
- paddy field: a field planted with rice growing in water - นาข้าว
- residential: an area where people live; where there are homes and apartments - เขตที่อยู่อาศัย
- satellite: an electronic device that is sent into space and moves around the earth or another planet. It is used for communicating by radio, television, etc. and for providing information - ดาวเทียม