Police to have mental health checks
published : 16 Mar 2023 at 16:24
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
Police officers across the country will undergo mental health screening after a 27-hour police siege at a house in Bangkok this week.
Medical teams will conduct random health checks on police officers to ensure public safety and increase work efficiency, the force said on Thursday.
People can lodge complaints if they come across officers who appear to be mentally disturbed, said a spokesman.
The screening follows an incident in Bangkok's Sai Mai district where a 51-year-old police inspector was firing shots into the air and inside his house on Tuesday before the siege ended on Wednesday. The inspector was shot and died of his injuries.
More than 20 families were affected by the officer’s gun firing that prompted the deployment of police commandos and task force officers to the site, said the spokesman.
It was reported that the inspector had sought mental health treatment at a hospital in Chiang Mai. He stayed at this home alone.
- commando: a soldier trained to attack in areas controlled by an enemy - สมาชิกของหน่วยจู่โจม
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การร้องเรียน
- conduct: to carry out — - ดำเนิน
- deployment (noun): the act of moving something, e.g., people and equipment, into a position where it is ready for use - การเคลื่อนคนและอุปกรณ์อยู่ในตำแหน่งที่พร้อมทำงาน
- disturbed: upset and worried - กระวนกระวายใจ
- efficiency: the ability to work well and produce good results by using the available time, money, supplies etc in the most effective way - ความมีประสิทธิภาพ
- injury (noun): physical damage done to a person or a part of their body - อาการบาดเจ็บ
- inspector: an officer of middle rank in the police force - สารวัตร
- random: happening, done or chosen by chance rather than according to a plan - ซึ่งไม่มีแบบแผน
- screen: to find out information about people to see if they are suitable for something - สครีน, คัดเลือก, แยกออก, เลือกออก
- siege: a situation in which a group of people surround a building in order to protest about something or to force the people inside to come out - การเข้าห้อมล้อม
- treatment: the process of providing medical care - การรักษา