Missing German found dead in freezer
Police found the body of a missing German property broker hidden in a freezer at a house in Bang Lamung district on Monday night.
Detectives found the body of Hans Peter Ralter Mack, 62, as they were conducting a search based on surveillance camera footage. Police were trying to find the whereabouts of the German who went missing from his family on July 4.
Forensic officers were examining the scene to determine the cause of death.
Before finding the body, a Thai couple told police that they had been hired by a German woman to deliver the freezer to a house in Nong Prue.
Police then reviewed surveillance camera footage and identified a German man, a close friend of the German woman, driving a pickup truck, which transported the freezer. The truck was seen travelling on roads in Chon Buri, covering a total distance of about 160 kilometres.
The truck was eventually parked at a house in Chokchai Garden Home 1 housing estate in Nong Prue.
There police found the freezer containing the body, along with an electric saw, ropes, food seals and bottles of water, soda and beer.
The victim's body was dismembered, with the head, body and limbs separated and put in bags that were found in the 1.50-metre-long freezer.
Police attributed the death to extortion, adding that about 2 million baht had been transferred from the man's bank account.
On July 5 Mack's 24-year-old Thai wife told investigators that he had left their house in Swiss Paradise housing estate in Pattaya, Chon Buri, on July 4 to meet a foreign property broker. The meeting was to discuss property sales in Pattaya and Koh Samui.
Mack's silver Mercedes-Benz E350 was found in the CC Condominium parking lot in Nong Prue on Sunday morning.
Learn from listening
- attribute to: to believe that something is the result of a particular situation, event, or person’s actions - ถือว่าเป็นของ
- broker: a person who buys and sells things for other people - นายหน้า
- detective: a person, especially a police officer, whose job is to examine crimes and catch criminals - นักสืบ; ผู้สืบสวน
- dismembered: having legs, arms, hands, etc. cut off - ถูกตัดออกเป็นส่วน ๆ , ถูกตัดมือตัดขาออก
- evidence: facts statements or objects that help to prove whether or not someone has committed a crime - หลักฐาน
- extortion: the crime of trying to obtain something by force or threat - การขู่กรรโชก รีดไถ
- forensic: relating to the use of scientific methods to solve crimes or to find out why something happened - เกี่ยวกับนิติวิทยาศาสตร์
- freezer (n): a cold cabinet keeping food at very low temperatures -
- limbs: arms or legs - ท่อนแขนท่อนขา
- marriage: the ceremony in which two people become husband and wife; the legal relationship between a husband and wife - การแต่งงาน, การสมรส, ภาวะที่แต่งงานกัน
- previous: happening or existing before the event or object that you are talking about - แต่ก่อน, เมื่อก่อน
- saw: a tool used for cutting wood or metal - ใบมีด เลื่อย
- scene: site; a place where something happens or happened - สถานที่เกิดเหตุ
- stain (noun): an ugly mark left accidentally on clothes or the surface of something; blot, mark, spot - คราบ, รอยเปื้อน, รอยเลอะ
- surveillance footage: video from a camera that is put in a place to constantly record what happens there - เทปวิดีโอจากกล้องวงจรปิดเพื่อรักษาการความปลอดภัย
- whereabouts: where someone is - ที่อยู่,สถานที่,ตำแหน่งที่