Movie Preview: Minari
published : 31 Mar 2021 at 11:15
writer: Gary Boyle
A Korean family adapts to life in the US
In the drama film, Minari, a Korean immigrant, Jacob, moves from California to Arkansas in 1980s. Jacob hopes that he can make a living by growing Korean vegetables even though his land is dry and barely grows anything. Other family members disagree with his idea. They think Jacob has thrown away his future in order to start his new life in a remote rural area.
Since Jacob and his wife Monica are busy with farming, grandmother Soonja has to fly from South Korea to take care of his seven-year-old son, David. Due to their different viewpoints and lifestyles, Soonja and David often have conflicts with each other. However, they eventually discover that their differences strengthen their relationship.
Enjoy the story when Minari opens in cinemas on April 1.
- barely: almost not happening - แทบไม่เคยเกิดขึ้น
- conflict: an angry disagreement between people or groups - ความขัดแย้ง
- immigrant: a person who has come to a different country in order to live there permanently - ผู้อพยพ, คนย้ายถิ่น
- remote: far away from other cities, towns, or people - ที่ห่างไกล
- viewpoint (noun): the way someone sees or understands an issue or problem; an opinion, point of view, perspective, attitude - ทัศนคติ, ความคิดเห็น, มุมมอง