Thursday: 142 new Covid cases
published : 21 Jan 2021 at 13:04
writer: Gary Boyle
The government on Thursday reported 142 new Covid-19 cases, 125 local infections and 17 imported, raising the total to 12,795.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said that of the local infections, 88 new cases were confirmed through the health system and 37 detected via testing.
The 88 new cases who went to hospitals themselves included 63 in Samut Sakhon province and 14 in Bangkok.
Active case finding confirmed only 29 new cases in Samut Sakhon, where disease control workers were hoping to end active case finding by the end of this month. Community testing found two new cases in Bangkok, the spokesman said.
In total, there were 92 new cases in Samut Sakhon and 16 new cases in Bangkok.
The 17 imported cases were quarantined arrivals from Myanmar, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, Japan, India, the United States and Malaysia.
Of the total 12,795 cases, 9,842 (76.9%) had recovered, including 221 discharged over the preceding 24 hours, and 2,882 were receiving treatment. The death toll remained at 71.
The new Covid-19 outbreak had already spread to 63 of the 77 provinces, with Chiang Rai being the latest with an infection at an entertainment place.
- active case finding: when health staff reach out to a community and test people to find cases of a disease -
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- confirm (verb): to state or show that something is definitely true or correct, especially by providing evidence - ยืนยัน
- entertainment: fun; behaviour or activities that are not serious but come from a sense of enjoyment - ความบันเทิง, ความสนุกสนาน
- import: to buy or bring in products from another country - นำเข้า
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก