40 Covid deaths, 2,331 new cases Wednesday [UPDATE]
There were 40 more Covid-19 fatalities and 2,331 new cases in the country over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Wednesday morning.
There were 2,305 cases in the general population and 26 among prison inmates.
Over the past 24 hours, 4,947 Covid-19 patients recovered and were discharged from hospitals.
Since April 1, around when the third wave of Covid-19 began, there have been 175,732 Covid-19 patients, 140,239 of whom have recovered.
Since the pandemic started early last year, there have been 204,595 Covid-19 cases, 167,665 of whom recovered.
The death toll was at 1,431 in the third wave and 1,525 from the beginning of the pandemic early last year.
Apisamai Srirangson, spokeswoman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, admitted during the later afternoon briefing the spread of the virus "seems endless". Its continuing transmission in factories was of particular concern.
She said the 40 new fatalities were aged 34-90 years. Twenty-four were male and 16 female.
Twenty-four of the latest deaths had hypertension and 10 were diabetic, 13 had caught the virus from other family members and 11 from colleagues and neighbours.
Bangkok again logged the most new cases at 807, followed by 204 in Nonthaburi, 161 in Samut Prakan, 108 in Chon Buri, 101 in Samut Sakhon, 96 in Chachoengsao, 89 in Pathum Thani, 60 in Songkhla, 52 in Nakhon Pathom and 50 each in Ayutthaya and Nakhon Si Thammarat.
Dr Apisamai said that since April 1, Covid-19 infections in factories producing a variety of products had been confirmed in 27 provinces, including Bangkok.
The spokeswoman also said health officials were investigating Covid-19 transmission at a media organisation. Some infections started there in May. The company continued operating as usual in the second and third weeks of May while more cases were detected there.
On June 5 infections spread through staff, the spokeswoman said without naming the organisation. Media reports identified it as Workpoint Entertainment.
- concern: a worry - ความกังวล
- death toll: the number of people killed - ยอดผู้เสียชีวิต
- diabetic (noun): a person who has the disease diabetes - ผู้เป็นเบาหวาน
- discharge: to allow someone officially to leave somewhere, especially a hospital or a court of law - ได้รับอนุญาตให้ออกจาก
- hypertension: high blood pressure - ความดันโลหิตสูง
- inmate: someone who is kept in a prison, mental hospital or other institution - ผู้ถูกกักกัน, ผู้ถูกกักบริเวณในเรือนจำหรือโรงพยาบาล
- patient: someone who is receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- population: a particular group of people or animals living in a particular area - กลุ่มที่อาศัยอยู่ในที่เดียวกัน