117 Covid fatalities, 17,345 new cases Friday
There were 117 new Covid-19 fatalities and 17,345 new cases over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Friday morning.
There were 16,664 cases in the general population and 681 among prison inmates.
Over the past 24 hours, 10,678 Covid-19 patients recovered and left hospitals.
Since April 1, around when the third wave of Covid-19 began, there have been 549,512 Covid-19 patients, 353,744 of whom have recovered.
Since the pandemic started early last year, there have been 578,375 Covid-19 cases, 381,170 of whom recovered.
The death toll was at 4,585 in the third wave and 4,679 from the beginning of the pandemic early last year.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said that with the number of new cases soaring daily, patients outnumbered hospital beds.
He said that 117 fatalities were aged 33-92 years, 112 were Thais and five from Myanmar. Fifty-five of the deaths were in Bangkok.
- inmate: someone who is kept in a prison, mental hospital or other institution - ผู้ถูกกักกัน, ผู้ถูกกักบริเวณในเรือนจำหรือโรงพยาบาล
- outnumbered: having fewer people than another group - มีคนน้อยกว่า
- pandemic: a disease that affects almost everyone in a very large area - โรคที่มีการแพร่กระจายหรือระบาดไปทั่ว
- patients (noun): people who are receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- recovered: became fit and healthy again - ฟื้นฟูร่างกาย
- soaring: rising very quickly to a high level - พุ่งพรวดขึ้น