20,920 new Covid cases, 160 deaths Thursday
There were record 20,920 new Covid-19 cases and 160 new fatalities over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Thursday morning.
There were 20,658 cases in the general population and 262 among prison inmates.
Over the past 24 hours, 17,926 Covid-19 patients recovered and left hospitals.
Since April 1, around when the third wave of Covid-19 began, there have been 664,442 Covid-19 patients, 446,306 of whom have recovered.
Since the pandemic started early last year, there have been 693,305 Covid-19 cases, 473,732 of whom recovered.
The death toll was at 5,569 in the third wave and 5,663 from the beginning of the pandemic early last year.
Apisamai Srirangson of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said that the 160 new fatalities were aged 12-95 years and included two pregnant women.
Eighty-six either lived in or visited outbreak areas, 38 contracted the virus from colleagues and neighbours and 23 got it from other family members.
Bangkok logged the most new cases. with 4,140, followed by 1,326 in Samut Prakan, 1,311 in Chon Buri, 1,279 in Samut Sakhon, 754 in Nonthaburi, 565 in Nakhon Ratchasima, 494 in Saraburi, 463 in Pathum Thani, 449 in Chachoengsao and 427 in Ayutthaya.
- colleagues (noun): people who work in the same organisation, department or field as you do - เพื่อนร่วมงาน
- death toll: the number of people killed - ยอดผู้เสียชีวิต
- fatality: a death caused by an illness, accident, crime or war - การเสียชีวิต
- inmate: someone who is kept in a prison, mental hospital or other institution - ผู้ถูกกักกัน, ผู้ถูกกักบริเวณในเรือนจำหรือโรงพยาบาล
- outbreak: the sudden start of a disease - การระบาดของโรค
- pandemic: a disease that affects almost everyone in a very large area - โรคที่มีการแพร่กระจายหรือระบาดไปทั่ว
- patients (noun): people who are receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- pregnant: having a baby developing inside the body - ท้อง ตั้งครรภ์
- recovered: became fit and healthy again - ฟื้นฟูร่างกาย