Boarding school told to punish suspected rapists
The education minister has told a boarding school in Phetchabun to punish students involved in the sexual assault of female pupils in its dormitory on Aug 24, if found guilty.
The school, Rajaprajanugroh 57 Phetchabun School, previously reported that five male students were expelled over the incident. However, local news reports stated that the boys were only suspended, and sent home for online classes.
The two students allegedly helped the boys enter a Covid-19 isolation ward on the upper floor of the dorm.
The boys allegedly first appeared at the dorm on Aug 23 and assaulted five girls. The following day at 11pm, the boys allegedly appeared again and raped a 17-year-old girl while 30 other girls in the room remained in their beds after they were threatened by the boys.
Parents of both sides of the students are negotiating to settle the issue, Ms Trinuch said.
- assault: to attack someone violently - ทำร้ายร่างกาย
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การบ่น, ข้อที่ไม่พอใจ
- complicit: involved in or knowing about something bad that happens - เข้าไปเกี่ยวข้อง สมรู้ร่วมคิด
- expelled: to force someone to leave a school, organisation or country (the noun form is expulsion) - ขับไล่,ไล่ออก
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- isolation: set apart from; disconnected from - แยกออกมา ตั้งอยู่เดี่ยวๆ
- minor: someone who has not reached the age where they are legally an adult - เยาวชน
- negotiate: to try to reach an agreement by discussing something in a formal way - เจรจาต่อรอง
- punish: to make somebody suffer because they have broken the law or done something wrong - ทำโทษ
- rape: to commit the crime of forcefully having sex with someone against their wish - ข่มขืน
- suspended (verb): not allowed to participate or to do a job for a period of time; not allowed to be used for a period of time - ถูกระงับ
- threaten (verb): to say or indicate that you might do something bad or harmful, especially in order to make someone do something - ขู่เข็ญ คุกคาม ทำให้กลัว