Chiang Mai city wall collapses after heavy rain
Part of the historic wall in Chiang Mai has crumbled after heavy rain, as weather forecasters issued a storm watch across the country from Tuesday.
A section of the wall at Chang Phuak Gate at the moat collapsed on Sunday due to soil that absorbed too much rain.
The collapsed section was built in 1957 to replace the earlier outer part of the ancient wall that surrounds the central area of the city.
Rain has hit the northern province over the past few days - and in the weeks before - and the Meteorological Department expected more rain and thunderstorms in Chiang Mai throughout the week.
The weather agency has issued a storm alert for most parts of the country between Tuesday and Thursday as Super Typhoon Noru is expected to reach the Vietnamese coast during the period.
Its landfall in Vietnam would send rain, gusty winds and some downpours into provinces in the northern, northeastern, central and eastern regions, the Meteorological Department warned.
Learn from listening
- absorb: to take in a liquid, gas or other substance from the surface or space around - ซึมซับ ดูดกลืน
- alert: a warning to people to be prepared to deal with something dangerous - การเตือนให้ระวัง
- ancient: very old - ที่เก่าแก่ ที่โบราณ
- collapse: to fall down suddenly - พังลงมา ล้ม, พังครืน
- crumble: to break, or cause something to break, into small pieces - แตกละเอียด
- downpour: a lot of rain in a short time - ฝนตกหนักมาก, พายุฝน
- landfall: the place where a storm coming from the sea first hits land - การเข้าหาแผ่นดิน
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- moat: a deep wide channel that was dug around a castle, etc. and filled with water to make it more difficult for enemies to attack - คูน้ำรอบปราสาทหรือเมือง
- section: any of the parts into which something is divided - ส่วน
- soil: the substance on the surface of the Earth in which plants grow - ดิน
- surround: to be everywhere around something - ล้อมรอบ
- typhoon: a tropical storm with strong winds that move in circles - พายุไต้ฝุ่น