ONCB seizes drug suspect’s jet
The Office of Narcotics Control Board has seized a private jet and other assets belonging to Chaiyanat "Tuhao" Kornchayanant, an alleged leader of a Chinese crime group under investigation over his links to the drug trade.
Secretary to the Justice Minister, Sub Lt Thanakrit Jitareerat, confirmed on Sunday that a private jet being serviced at Bo Fai airfield in Prachuap Khiri Khan was seized for further examination, along with other assets linked to Mr Chaiyanat.
The seizure confirmation is a course change for the ONCB, which had initially denied impounding the jet while rejecting claims by ex-politician and massage parlour tycoon Chuwit Kamolvisit that the plane belonged to Mr Chaiyanat.
ONCB secretary-general Wichai Chaimongkol said the company has been asked to provide documents proving the jet's ownership by the end of the week.
He added that over 40 bank accounts each with a balance of 800,000-900,000 baht and all linked to Mr Chaiyanat have been frozen.
Mr Wichai said assets belonging to the suspect's wife -- a Thai police colonel attached to the police's foreign affairs sub-division and a niece of a former senior police officer -- will also be frozen, and she will be called in to clarify the origins of the frozen assets.
Mr Chuwit alleged that a triad boss named Tuhao fled the country on a private plane with the assistance of state officials just hours after police raided a pub in Yannawa district linked to him last month.
- alleged: claimed to be true although not yet proven; claimed to have done something wrong but not yet proven - ที่ถูกกล่าวหา
- attached to: assigned to work in or with an organization -
- clarify: to explain something more clearly so that it is easier to understand - แจกแจง ชี้แจง
- course: the things that you choose to do in a particular situation - แนวทาง, วิถีทาง
- frozen assets: things owned by someone, especially money and property, that a court has ordered cannot be used by the owner until a final court decision has been made - การยึดหรือพิทักษ์ทรัพย์
- impound: (of the police) to officially take something away - ยึดไว้เป็นของกลาง
- laundering: money laundering; laundering money; hiding the origin of money obtained from illegal activities by putting it into legal businesses - การฟอกเงิน
- massage parlour: a place where you can pay to have a massage - โรงนวด,สถานบริการ (อาบ,อบ,นวด)
- niece: a daughter of your brother or sister, or a daughter of your husband’s or wife’s brother or sister - หลานสาว
- seized: taken away by force or official power - ถูกยึกครอง
- shareholder: a person who owns some of the equal parts into which the ownership of a company is divided - ผู้ถือหุ้น
- trade: a type of business - การค้าขาย
- triad: a secret Chinese organisation involved in illegal activities such as selling drugs -
- tycoon: a person who has succeeded in business or industry and has become very rich and powerful - นักธุรกิจที่ร่ำรวยและมีอิทธิพลมาก
- warrant (noun): a legal document that is signed by a judge and gives the police authority to do something - หมาย