Man shoots at resort owner after being denied free room
A hotel guest fired a gun at a Rayong resort owner and police after being denied a free stay.
Police were called to the resort in Klaeng district at 3am on Saturday. A team of officers arrived and found resort owner Thanapisit Thanaratpiwat, 42, in a state of panic.
Mr Thanapisit said that a male guest had approached him to rent a room. When asked for payment, the man said he did not have any money and after being denied the room, pulled a gun and began threatening Mr Thanapisit, firing at him.
After the owner told the police that the shooter was hiding in room No. 10, the officers entered the room and found a man lying on the bed. Authorities tried to make him surrender but he spoke incoherently and began waving a .38 pistol.
A member of the team unsuccessfully tried to incapacitate the man by shooting him in the back with an taser, but he was able to fire back towards the officers as he fled.
The shooter eventually shot and injured a police officer before he was shot in the leg and taken into custody.
He was found with 200 methamphetamine tablets and the pistol.
Learn from listening
- custody: the state of being in prison or under police control, especially while waiting for trial - การกักขัง, การคุมขัง
- denied: a refusal to allow somebody to have something - ปฎิเสธ, ไม่ยอมรับ
- incapacitate: to make somebody/something unable to live or work normally - ทำให้ไม่สามารถกระทำ
- incoherent (adj): unable to express yourself clearly, not clear and hard to understand - พูดไม่ปะติดปะต่อ, ขาดลำดับ, ไม่เกาะติดกัน
- panic: a sudden strong feeling of fear or worry that causes you to be unable to think clearly or calmly - ความตื่นตกใจ
- pistol: a small gun that you hold in one hand - ปืนพก,ปืนสั้น
- state: condition - สภาพ
- surrender: to give yourself up - ยอมแพ้ ยอมจำนน
- taser gun: a weapon that produces a strong electric current and that is used by police in some countries to stop people being violent or stop them from running away - ยี่ห้อปืนไฟฟ้ายี่ห้อหนึ่ง เป็นอาวุธที่ใช้เพื่อป้องกันตัว หรืออาวุธที่ตำรวจใช้เพื่อทำให้ผู้ร้ายล้มลง หรือหมดสติ
- threaten (verb): to say or indicate that you might do something bad or harmful, especially in order to make someone do something - ขู่เข็ญ คุกคาม ทำให้กลัว