Phuket braces for Songkran spike
published : 30 Mar 2023 at 09:19
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Achadthaya Chuenniran
Phuket expects to see a 10% increase in hotel bookings during the Songkran festival next month.
The Phuket Tourist Association said the government's We Travel Together tourism stimulus scheme has attracted more visitors to Phuket to celebrate the Thai New Year on April 13-15.
It is expected that over 40% of all domestic tourism will be in Phuket during Songkran, up from 30% in 2022. Phuket will also welcome more international arrivals next month.
The association said the top three countries of origin for foreign visitors are Russia, China and India.
The Thai Hotels Association's Southern Chapter said Phuket has almost 200,000 hotel rooms and the average occupation in April is 60-70%.
However, this will rise by 5-10% during Songkran.
Meanwhile, the Phuket Natural and Environment Office on Wednesday led local authorities to inspect Mai Ngao Beach, also known as Freedom Beach.
Sunbeds and umbrellas were being offered for rent by unsanctioned operators on the beach.
The beach is part of a reserved forest. Officers also received complaints that some locals were illegally collecting an entrance fee from foreign tourists who wanted to access the beach.
Some 200-300 beachgoers, mostly foreign tourists, visit Mai Ngao beach on average each day, but the number jumps to 400-500 during the high season.
Learn from listening
- association: an official group of people who have joined together for a particular purpose - สมาคม
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- brace for (verb): to get ready for something, usually something unpleasant or difficult to deal with - เตรียมรับมือ
- domestic: inside the country being talked about - ภายในประเทศ
- occupation (noun): the act of living in or using a building, room, piece of land, etc - การครอบครอง
- origin: the point from which something starts or comes from - ที่มา, ต้นกำเนิด, จุดเริ่มต้น
- reserve forests: protected forests; forests that are set aside for animals, trees and plants -
- spike: a sudden increase - การพุ่งพรวดขึ้น
- stimulus scheme: a set of programmes, especially government spending programmes, designed to start an economy growing again - แผนกระตุ้นหรือฟื้นฟูเศรษฐกิจ
- unsanctioned: without official permission -