MFP plans protection for cannabis growers, sellers
The Move Forward Party (MFP) plans to reinstate cannabis as a narcotic drug, while protecting its growers and sellers.
Authorities could not effectively control cannabis use because there had not been a law to control its use, cultivation, export and import after decriminalisation, she said.
"Operators and growers who comply with the rules will have their businesses protected," Ms Sirikanya said.
Once the new regulation comes into effect, there will be legislation in place to protect the lawful cultivation of cannabis, she added.
"We confirm that those who comply with the law will not be affected. Please rest assured," said the MFP member.
Relisting cannabis as a narcotic is a policy of the MFP, which won the most House seats in the May 14 general election.
Thousands of businesses have sprung up since the legalisation of cannabis consumption and growing, with many shops in Bangkok and other tourist areas offering weed to delighted tourists and local smokers.
The prospect of a new government relisting cannabis is making business owners nervous.
“Don’t put cannabis back in prison,” said the owner of the RG420 cannabis shop on Khao San Road.
The Move Forward policy is worrying pro-cannabis people, including the sort of progressive younger people who helped the MFP win on May 14.
“I thought they’re meant to move forward,” grumbled one cannabis farm owner and wholesaler.
Learn from listening
- comply (verb): to obey a rule, law, agreement, etc. or do what someone asks you to do - ปฏิบัติตาม (กฎหมาย, ข้อเสนอ, ข้อตกลง etc.)
- crop: a plant grown for food, usually on a farm - พืชผล
- cultivation: the preparation and use of land for growing plants or crops - การเตรียมดินสำหรับเพาะปลูก
- decriminalisation: making it not a crime or less of a crime, often to end a waste of resources consumed by putting large numbers of people in jail -
- flourish: to grow or develop successfully - เจริญรุ่งเรือง
- grumble: to complain about someone or something in an annoyed way - บ่น
- House: House of Representatives - สภา
- lawful: not against the law; officially accepted by the government or another authority - ซึ่งถูกต้องตามกฎหมาย
- legislation: a law or set of laws suggested by a government and made official by a parliament - กฎหมาย, การออกกฎหมาย
- medicinal (adj): helpful in the process of healing illness or infection - ซึ่งมีคุณสมบัติเป็นยา
- narcotic: an illegal drug such as heroin, cocaine or crystal methamphetamine - ยาเสพย์ติด
- nervous: anxious about something or afraid of something - กระวนกระวาย
- policy (noun): a set of plans or action agreed on by a government, political party, business, or other group - นโยบาย
- prison: a place where criminals are put to stay for a period of time as punishment for a crime - คุก, ,เรือนจำ
- protect: to make sure that somebody/something is not harmed, injured, damaged, etc - ป้องกัน,อารักขา,คุ้มกัน
- recreational: involving enjoyment - เกี่ยวการสันทนาการ
- regulate: to control an activity officially - ควบคุม
- rest assured (idiom): to not need to worry about something; used to emphasize that what you say is true or will definitely happen - นอนใจ, ทำให้แน่ใจ
- seat: a position in a committee, group or organization -
- wholesaler (noun): a company that does "wholesale" as a business, buying and selling goods in large quantities -