3m booster jabs next month
Covid-19 vaccine booster shots will be administered to millions of Thais who have already received two shots, starting from late next month.
According to Department of Disease Control (DDC) director-general Opas Karnkawinpong, the Public Health Ministry's subcommittee on Covid-19 vaccination agreed the booster shots will be given to Thais from late September to October.
As to vaccines made available as booster jabs, Dr Opas said, "Which vaccine type to be used depends on the availability of the vaccine supply at that time.” He added that an estimated 3 million people who have already received two vaccine doses are expected to receive the booster shots.
In the meantime, permanent secretary for public health Kiattiphum Wongrajit said on Sunday the latest wave of Covid-19 infections shows some signs of slowing down.
- administer (verb): to give drugs, medicine, etc. to somebody - ให้ (ยา), จ่ายยา
- booster (noun): something that gives extra strength - สิ่งที่เพิ่มกำลังหรือความแข็งแรง
- dose (noun): an amount of drug or something else that you take at a single time or affects you at a single time - ปริมาณที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- in the meantime: during the time between two events or between the present time and a future event - เวลาในระหว่างนั้น
- initially: at first - ในเบื้องต้น
- jab: a vaccination - การฉีดวัคซีน
- occupancy (noun): the use, or the period of use, of a place, a space, etc. - การพำนักอาศัย
- particularly: especially, or more than usual - โดยเฉพาะ
- previously: before -
- shot: putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe; an injection - การฉีดยา
- subcommittee: a smaller committee formed from a main committee in order to study a particular subject in more detail - คณะอนุกรรมการ