Prayut congratulates Chadchart
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Monday congratulated Chadchart Sittipunt, who looks set to be confirmed as Bangkok's new governor after the city elections on Sunday.
Prayut had assured Mr Chadchart, who ran as an independent, the government would give him and his team all due support for the development of Bangkok.
"The prime minister has made it clear that whoever is Bangkok governor, no matter which party he or she is from, the government is ready to render support in the country's interests.
"The government will support whatever is good and benefits the Bangkok people - with a clear policy of improving their quality of life," a government spokesman said.
Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon, as leader of the Palang Pracharath Party (PPRP), also extended congratulations to Mr Chadchart, who clearly won the most votes according to the unofficial result.
Gen Prawit, too, said he was willing to support Mr Chadchart. "As I have said, I will support whoever is elected Bangkok governor," he said.
In the city council elections, unofficial figures showed Pheu Thai swept 20 seats, followed by Move Forward (14), Democrat (9), Rak Krungthep group (3), Palang Pracharath (2) and Thai Sang Thai (2). The city council has 50 members.
Learn from listening
- assure: to tell someone that something is true or will definitely happen - ให้ความมั่นใจ, ยืนยัน
- confirm (verb): to state or show that something is definitely true or correct, especially by providing evidence - ยืนยัน
- elect (verb): to choose someone/something through voting - เลือกตั้ง, คัดเลือก
- election (noun): the process of choosing a person or a group of person for a position, especially by voting - การเลือกตั้ง
- extend: to offer or give something to somebody - ให้กับ, มอบ...ให้...
- policy (noun): a set of plans or action agreed on by a government, political party, business, or other group - นโยบาย
- support: to give help, encouragement or sympathy to somebody - สนับสนุน, เป็นกำลังใจ
- swept (past form sweep): moved quickly through an area; moved with powerful force - เคลื่อนไปอย่างรวดเร็ว, พัดพาเอาไป