Miss Universe Thailand accused of flag abuse
published : 24 Nov 2021 at 09:27
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Post Reporters
Police action has been sought against Miss Universe Thailand Anchilee Scott-Kemmis for standing on what looks like a Thai flag in a picture featured online.
The complaint was filed with police by Sonthiya Sawasdee, a former adviser to the House committee on Tuesday.
Mr Sonthiya accused Anchilee of breaching the 1979 Flag Act and a ban on the use of national flags for commercial purposes.
The picture, which shows the beauty queen posing on painted stripes resembling the colours of the national flag, was released online in a promotional campaign before Anchilee competes in the 70th Miss Universe pageant in Israel on Dec 12.
Mr Sonthiya said Miss Universe Thailand may be unaware that standing on a national flag is inappropriate.
He insisted he would not be seeking any jail terms, but was protecting the prestige of the national flag.
Offences against the national flag carry a maximum jail term of two years, a fine of up to 40,000 baht or both.
Learn from listening
- abuse: the use of something in a bad, dishonest, or harmful way - การใช้ในทางที่ผิด
- accuse: to say that someone has done something wrong or committed a crime - กล่าวหา
- breach (verb): to fail to follow a law, rule or agreement - ละเมิดกฎข้อบังคับ, ละเมิดสัญญา
- campaign: a planned series of activities - การรณรงค์
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การร้องเรียน
- file: to take official action like making a complaint - ยื่น, ยื่นคำร้อง
- flag (noun): a piece of cloth with a special coloured design on it that may be the symbol of a particular country or organization, or may have a particular meaning. A flag can be attached to a pole or held in the hand - ธง
- inappropriate: unsuitable - ซึ่งไม่เหมาะสม
- pageant: a competition to choose the most beautiful from a group of women - ประกวดนางงาม
- prestige (noun): the respect and admiration that somebody/something has because of their social position, or what they have done - ความเคารพนบนอบ, ชื่อเสียง, เกียรติยศ
- resemble (verb): to be like or look like someone or something else - มีลักษณะคล้ายกับ