Cop in fatal crash awaits probe
Police hope to quickly conclude a probe to determine the speed of a motorcycle ridden by a policeman when it hit a doctor on Phaya Thai Road on Friday, resulting in her death.
Police said the Ducati ridden by Pol L/C Norawich Buadok, from the Protection and Crowd Control Division, was taken to the Traffic Police Division for inspection on Saturday.
"Experts will analyse the speed of the motorcycle that Pol L/C Norawich rode by reviewing the footage on CCTV. We need to wait for the results before we can confirm whether Pol L/C Norawich's claim that he was driving at a speed of 80 kilometres an hour is correct," he said.
Pol L/C Norawich faces seven charges including reckless driving causing death and failing to give way to pedestrians at a zebra crossing.
The officer entered the monkhood on Monday to make merit for the victim, Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul, an ophthalmologist at Chulalongkorn University. However, he is due to leave today after a backlash from the public.
The National Office of Buddhism said Norawich should not have entered the monkhood as he is a suspect in a criminal case.
Meanwhile, police plan to quadruple the maximum fine for offences such as driving through red lights and speeding to 4,000 baht.
Learn from listening
- analyse: to examine the nature or structure of something, especially by separating it into its parts, in order to understand or explain it - วิเคราะห์, ศึกษา, ตรวจสอบ
- backlash: a strong negative and often angry reaction to something that has happened - การสะท้อนกลับอย่างรุนแรง
- claim: to say that something is true although it has not been proved and other people may not believe it - อ้าง
- inspection: the act of looking closely at something or someone and to check that everything is as it should be; examination - การตรวจสอบอย่างละเอียด
- make merit: to do good things according to religious beliefs - ทำบุญ
- monkhood: the fact of being a monk - เพศพระภิกษุ, เพศบรรพชิต, ความเป็นพระ
- ophthalmologist: a doctor who is an expert in illnesses of the eyes and who can perform operations on people’s eyes - แพทย์รักษาตา
- probe: an attempt to find out the truth about an issue, problem or accident, made by an official group (or by the media); an investigation - การตรวจสอบ การสอบสวน
- quadruple: increase in size so that it is 4X larger -
- reckless: not thinking about the possible bad effects of your actions - สะเพร่า
- suspect: a person who is thought to have committed a crime - ผู้ต้องสงสัย
- victim: someone who has been affected by a bad situation, such as a disaster, illness or an accident - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย