Dead driver found in car 12 hours after motorway crash
The driver of a crashed car was found dead inside the wreckage almost 12 hours later - after it had been towed to the police pound.
The discovery has drawn harsh criticism of police and the people who attended the crash scene for their failure to check the car for the missing driver.
The car hit a concrete barrier on a motorway in Si Racha district of Chon Buri province on Tuesday morning.
Emergency responders saw no sign of the driver and the smashed-up car was shortly afterwards towed to the local police vehicle pound.
A police officer at the pound who examined the wreck later that evening was surprised to find the body of Phattarachai Atthaporn, 68, still in the driver's seat. He had severe neck injuries and broken bones and had been dead several hours, Thai media reported.
A rescue team did not see the driver at the accident scene and thought he might have been taken to hospital before they arrived.
The news trended on social media, with heavy criticism of those involved for not checking for survivors.
Learn from listening
- barrier: an object like a fence or wall that prevents people/vehicles, etc. from moving forward from one place to another - สิ่งขัดขวาง, กำแพง, อุปสรรค
- criticism: comments that show that you think something is wrong or bad - การวิจารณ์
- failure: the fact of something not working or stopping working -
- pound (n): a place where the police keep cars until the owners collect them -
- responder: something or someone that responds to your request and provides service to you when you have a problem, such as an ambulance or fire fighters -
- scene: site; a place where something happens or happened - สถานที่เกิดเหตุ
- severe: very serious and worrying - ที่รุนแรง ที่น่าเป็นห่วง
- survivor: someone who still exists after an event that could have killed or destroyed them - ผู้รอดชีวิต
- tow: to pull a vehicle or boat by fixing it to the back of a another vehicle or boat - ลากจูง
- trend (verb): to be discussed a lot on a social media website - ถูกกล่าวถึงมากในเว็บไซต์สื่อโซ'เชิล (เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์)
- wreck: the parts of a vehicle or building that remain after it has been severely damaged - ซากตึกบ้านเรือนที่ถูกทำลาย