Broadcasting rights in jeopardy
Fifa has threatened to end Thailand's broadcasting of World Cup 2022 final matches if the kingdom fails to meet its standard encryption of broadcasting signals.
The Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) has notified the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) about Fifa's warning that Thailand's transmission access was also being used in other countries.
The warning coincided with the release of a photo showing World Cup fans in Laos cheering their favourite teams on a TV screen. This is despite the fact Laos does not hold the right to broadcast any of the games.
SAT's governor has asked the NBTC to ensure all parties strictly follow Fifa's broadcasting transmission encryption standard.
Fifa has asked the SAT to strictly encrypt its over-the-air transmissions.
If not, Thailand will forfeit its World Cup broadcasting rights.
Learn from listening
- access: having the opportunity to have or use something - มีโอกาสในการใช้
- broadcast: to send out a programme on television or radio - กระจายเสียง,กระจายข่าว
- broadcasting (noun): the sending out of a programme on television or radio - กระจายเสียง,กระจายข่าว
- coincide with: to happen at the same time as something else - เกิดขึ้นพร้อมกับ
- despite (prep): used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it; used to show that somebody did not intend to do the thing mentioned - ถึงอย่างไรก็ตาม, ทั้ง ๆ ที่
- encrypt (verb): to put information into a special code, especially in order to prevent people from looking at it without authority - เปลี่ยนข้อความให้เป็นรหัส
- encryption (noun): when messages sent between use a secret code so that others cannot read the message - เปลี่ยนข้อความให้เป็นรหัส, การนำข้อความมาทำให้เป็นรหัส
- forfeit: to lose something or have something taken away from you because you have done something wrong - สูญเสียของจากการถูกปรั
- jeopardy: in danger of being harmed or damaged -
- party (noun): one of the people or groups of people involved in a situation, an official argument or arrangement - คู่กรณี
- rights: the legal right to control the production and selling of a book, play, film, photograph, piece of music, performance, etc. - ลิขสิทธิ์
- transmission (noun): the process of sending out electronic signals such as television or radio signals or electronic messages through data networks - การส่งสัญญาณ แพร่ภาพ กระจายเสียง