Another alleged Chinese triad boss arrested
Police arrested another alleged triad boss during raids in Bangkok and eight provinces on Wednesday, as the purge of Chinese gangs operating “grey businesses" in Thailand continued.
Teams of police raided 34 locations in eight provinces – 12 in Bangkok, 8 in Phuket, 6 in Samut Prakan, 4 in Chon Buri and one each in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya.
Police said evidence showed Chnese triads were linked to criminal activities in Thailand. Major operations were in Samut Prakan, where a company was the registered owner of the private jet of Chinese businessman Chaiyanat “Mr Tuhao"’ Kornchayanant, and tour companies with more than 80 buses and a hotel worth several hundred million baht were located.
Mr Chaiyanat turned himself in to police last week.
During Wednesday's operation, police raided three companies in Huai Kwang district of Bangkok and detained a Chinese national known as "Mr Tony'' or Chen Zhaohui on charges of running a business operated by foreign nationals, when foreigners are not allowed to operate such business.
The arrest of Mr Tony followed a raid on a pub operated by Space Plus Club Management (Thailand) Co early this month.
Mr Tony was found to be a business partner who brought more than a hundred million baht from Chinese investors to invest in the pub.
He is accused of heading one of five Chinese triad gangs under investigation for running grey businesses in Thailand.
Police had earlier arrested alleged bosses of three triad gangs -Tuhao, Shui Tai Wei alias David, and Yu Chang Fei.
The fourth gang was led by Mr Tony and Mr Johnny, who has reportedly fled. The other gang leader, Mr Ming, had reportedly also fled the country, said a police source.
Learn from listening
- accuse: to say that someone has done something wrong or committed a crime - กล่าวหา
- alleged: claimed to be true although not yet proven; claimed to have done something wrong but not yet proven - ที่ถูกกล่าวหา
- criminal: relating to illegal acts - เกี่ยวกับอาชญากรรม
- evidence: facts statements or objects that help to prove whether or not someone has committed a crime - หลักฐาน
- flee (past form: fled) (verb): to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger or consequences - หนี
- investors (noun): people or organisations that invest money, i.e., use money with the aim of making a profit from it, for example by buying property or buying shares in a company - นักลงทุน
- national: a citizen of a particular country - ประชาชน
- raid: to forcefully and suddenly enter a place to catch criminals or to search for something like drugs - ใช้กำลังเข้าค้นสถานที่หรือ จับกุมคนร้าย
- triad: a secret Chinese organisation involved in illegal activities such as selling drugs -
- turned himself in: surrendered - ยอมจำนน