Driving licence point deductions to start Jan 9
A points deduction system for traffic violations will begin on Jan 9 next year, with the loss of all points resulting in a 90-day suspension of drivers’ licences.
Every motorist will have 12 points to begin with but would lose points for violating traffic rules or failing to pay traffic fines, police said on Thursday.
Violations that would cost points include breaking the speed limit, using a mobile phone while at the steering wheel, not wearing a motorcycle helmet, and not stopping to let pedestrians walk on zebra crossings.
Running a red light or intentionally driving in the wrong direction — for example on a one-way street — will cause two points to be deducted, while illegal racing on a public street will lead to three points being cut.
The maximum penalty of four points is tied to serious violations such as impaired driving.
Those who lose all their points will have their driving licences suspended for 90 days. If a driver’s licence is suspended for a fourth time in three years, it could be terminated.
Deducted points would be automatically restored one year after being deducted, or when traffic violators have passed training sessions.
Motorists who have fewer than 6 points or who have lost all their points can seek training, police said. They can join a maximum of two training sessions a year.
More details can be found on the Royal Thai Police e-ticketing system website.
Learn from listening
- deduct: to take away an amount or part from a total - หักออก
- deduction: the process of taking an amount of something, especially money, away from a total; the amount that is taken away - การหักลบ
- fine: an amount of money that you have to pay because you have broken the law - ค่าปรับ
- impaired: not fully able to do something - ซึ่งไมสมบูรณ์
- licence: an official document that gives someone permission to do or use something - ใบอนุญาต
- motorist (noun): a person driving a car or other motor vehicle - คนขับรถยนต์, ผู้ขับรถ
- pedestrians: people who are walking, especially in an area where vehicles go - คนเดินถนน, คนเดินเท้า
- restore: to bring somebody/something back to a former condition, place or position - กลับคืน, กลับมารับตำแหน่ง
- running a red light: to drive through a red light , instead of stopping, which is illegal -
- steering wheel (noun): the wheel that the driver turns to control the direction that a vehicle goes in - พวงมาลัย
- suspend: to stop for a period of time - ยกเลิกชั่วคราว, ระงับชั่วคราว
- violate: to do something that is against the law - ละเมิดกฏหมาย
- zebra crossing: zebra crossing, pedestrian crossing, crosswalk - ทางม้าลาย, ทางขีดเส้นดำสลับขาว เป็นที่ให้คนเดินข้ามถนน