Immigration to tighten visa rules
published : 9 Dec 2022 at 09:14
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Wassayos Ngamkham
The Immigration Bureau will tighten its visa extension rules to prevent foreign criminals from establishing businesses in the country, its chief said on Thursday.
Pol Lt Gen Pakpoompipat Sajjapan was responding to allegations by former politician Chuwit Kamolvisit that three former senior immigration police officers had taken bribes to approve longer stays for more than 3,000 Chinese nationals including many involved in illegal business activities.
The bureau, he said, had been strict about visa approvals over the past year because it was aware that foreign criminals could use loopholes in existing rules, or some immigration police might be lax in checking some foreigners’ documents.
Mr Chuwit has said that student visas were granted to some foreigners as old as 50. In this case, the immigration chief said the bureau would revise its system.
However, he questioned whether there should be an age restriction on student visas, in keeping with “the concept of lifelong learning”.
He noted that Immigration Division 5 asked local schools to submit reports on the educational results of foreigners who had student visas. In the absence of such reports, their visas would be terminated and the foreigners must leave the country, he said.
Likewise, foundations that had foreign staff must report the activities of those foreigners on a regular basis.
Mr Chuwit has alleged that a Chinese law firm was set up in Thailand to help Chinese nationals who arrived in the country on 30-day tourist visas, and that a Khon Kaen-based foundation was also involved in the visa-extension racket.
- absence: a period of time when a person is not present at work, at school, at home, etc. - ช่วงเวลาที่ไม่อยู่, ช่วงการขาดงาน
- allegations (noun): accusations - ข้อกล่าวหา
- bribe: money or a present given to someone so that they will help you doing something dishonest or illegal - สินบน
- foundation: an organisation that provides money for things such as medical research or for a charity - มูลนิธิ
- grant: to officially give something - ให้
- immigration: dealing with people entering and leaving the country - การตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- Immigration Bureau: the government agency dealing with people entering and leaving the country and those who want to live there - สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- lax: not paying enough attention to rules, or not caring enough about quality or safety - ละเลย
- loophole: a small mistake in an agreement or law which gives someone the chance to avoid having to do something - ช่องโหว่ในกฎหมาย, จุดอ่อน, ข้อบกพร่อง
- racket: an illegal activity that earns money - การหาเงินโดยผิดกฎหมาย
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- submit: to formally give something to someone so that they can make a decision about it - ยื่น เสนอ (เอกสาร) ให้พิจารณา
- terminate: to end or stop something - ทำให้สิ้นสุด
- tighten (verb): to make something tighter, more fixed and secure or stricter - ทำให้แน่น, ทำให้เข้มงวดยิ่งขึ้น, ทำให้แน่นหรือตึงขึ้น, ผูกให้แน่น,
- visa: an official document or mark in your passport that allows you to enter or leave a country for a specific purpose or period of time - วีซ่า, เอกสารอนุมัติที่ประทับตราบนหนังสือเดินทาง