Koh Tao's garbage mountain to be cleared away
SURAT THANI: The mountain of garbage, 45,000 tonnes of it, that is polluting Koh Tao island is to finally be removed with the signing of a contract with a new firm that has promised to properly dispose of it all.
"We'll certainly clear it up and make Koh Tao a perfect, pollution-free tourist attraction," Surat Thani governor Witchawut Chinto said on Wednesday during a visit to inspect the mess on the island.
The 21-square-kilometre island in the Gulf of Thailand is not far from Koh Phangan, an island which has earned notoriety for its Full Moon parties.
The garbage piled up after the company previously hired to dispose of it was fired, its contract not renewed due to its failure to fulfil the terms, Mr Witchawut said.
A new company has now been hired to remove the rubbish, the governor said.
They will also introduce better waste management over the long term, including recycling.
Koh Tao is one of the tourist magnets of southern Thailand, drawing about 3 million visitors a year and revenue around 10 billion baht annually. Its reputation has been damaged following a number of deaths of tourists on the island, in particular the brutal murder of two British tourists in 2014 and the subsequent charging of two Myanmar nationals, who many believe to be scapegoats.
Learn from listening
- brutal: extremely violent and unpleasant - โหดร้าย
- eyesore: something that is ugly or unpleasant to look at - สิ่งที่ไม่สวยงาม (ตึก, สถานที่)
- foul: extremely unpleasant - น่ารังเกียจ
- garbage: waste food, paper, etc. that you throw away - ขยะ
- incinerator: a machine or structure to burn garbage or toxic waste in - เตาเผาขยะ
- magnet: someone or something that attracts and interests many people very strongly - สิ่งดึงดูดใจ, สิ่งน่าสนใจ
- mess (n): a dirty or untidy state -
- notoriety: the state of being famous for something bad - ชื่อเสียงในทางที่ไม่ดี
- reputation: the opinion people have about how good or bad someone or something is - ชื่อเสียง
- scapegoat: someone who is blamed for something that is not their fault, especially because someone else wants to avoid being blamed - ผู้รับเคราะห์แทนคนอื่น, แพะรับบาป
- subsequent: happening or coming after something else - ซึ่งตามมา