King's coronation soon, PM says
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has called on Thais to maintain unity and goodwill towards each other as His Majesty the King's coronation will take place soon.
Gen Prayut was speaking at a ceremony to unveil the Lam Saphung Dam construction project in Chaiyaphum's Nong Bua Daeng district on Monday.
He said the King will make the decision about when the coronation takes place.
"His Majesty the King has continued what King Rama IX initiated. His Majesty always tells me and the government to try our best to take care of the people, fulfil their needs swiftly, solve their problems and explain to them to make sure they understand," Gen Prayut said.
Gen Prayut previously said in June that the King's coronation was expected to be held before the general election in February.
Addressing Thailand's role as Asean chair next year, Gen Prayut said the country will host major meetings of the regional grouping and he wanted them to proceed without any trouble.
The last time Thailand held its turn at Asean's helm was from July 2008 to December 2009.
Gen Prayut stressed the need to avoid a repeat of the fiasco in April of 2009 when protesters led by the red-shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship disrupted and laid siege to the Asean summit in Pattaya and forced the hurried evacuation of regional leaders.
"I ask for two things. A peaceful election and a peaceful Asean chairmanship for Thailand. Don't let anyone disrupt it [the Asean summit] again," Gen Prayut said.
Learn from listening
- chairmanship: being the chairman, the person in charge of a committee, a company, etc - ประธาน
- coronation: the crowning of a king or queen - วันฉัตรมงคล
- disrupt: to interrupt something and prevent it from continuing by creating a problem - ได้รับการกระทบกระเทือน ถูกทำให้หยุดชะงัก
- evacuation: moving people from a place of danger to a safer place - การอพยพ
- fiasco: something planned that goes wrong and is a complete failure, usually in an embarrassing way - ความล้มเหลวอย่างสิ้นเชิง
- helm: in official control of an organisation or company - มีตำแหน่งผู้ควบคุม
- initiate: to make something start - ริเริ่ม
- loyal: firm and not changing in your friendship with or support for a person or an organization, or in your belief in your principles - ซื่อสัตย์
- monarchy (noun): the king or queen of a country and their family - ราชวงศ์, พระบรมวงศานุวงศ์
- pillar: a very important member or part of a group, organization, system, etc - แกนนำสำคัญ
- prevail: to be the strongest influence or element in a situation - เป็นจริง, มีอำนาจเหนือกว่า
- proceed: to continue as planned - ดำเนินการ
- siege: a situation in which a group of people surround a building in order to protest about something or to force the people inside to come out - การเข้าห้อมล้อม
- swiftly: happening quickly - อย่างรวดเร็ว โดยด่วน
- unveil: to show or introduce a new plan, product, etc. to the public for the first time - เปิดเผย, ประกาศให้รู้ทั่วไป